[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Jan 27 04:42:31 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> So, there has been this todo list item for a while to support a mode
> where a failing service at boot would result in boot status output to be
> turned on. Still not sure iof such a logic would be a good upstream
> default, but certainly a good default for more technically-minded
> distros such as Debian.
>
> So maybe something like this: In addition to the boolean values for
> systemd.show_status= on the kernel cmdline (or ShowStatus= in
> system.conf), we'd add a third value called "auto". If that is set
> we'd boot up without any status output, until either at least one
> service failed, or at least one job reaches its timeout half-way.

For people like me who has an attention span of about five seconds,
half-way to the timeout is still a really long time to just sit there.
Maybe just use the same timeout as the eye-of-cylon thingie?

> When
> that point is reached we'c continue the entire rest of the boot with
> status output enabled.

Hm, maybe only do this if something actually failed/reached the
timeout, and not if we just show the eye-of-cylon for a while and then
continue normally?

> And we wouldn't just turn the logging on, we'd
> also explain why we turned it on in one "introductory" message: "Turning
> on boot-time status output because of service failure:", or "Turning
> on boot-time status output because of nearing job timeout:" or something
> like that.

-t