[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 27 04:32:13 PST 2014

On Mon, 27.01.14 09:03, Michael Biebl (mbiebl at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> so that should be default and extended by a visible counter
> >> manually to add boot-params are useless for the normal user
> >> the advaned one is not using quiet at all
> > I now pushed a change to git to display time since a job was started
> > and the job timeout in the ephemeral status. It turns out that in the
> > recent rewrite, the timeout logic was borked, so the ephemeral status was
> > not displayed properly. It should now be displayed more reliably.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > Still, nothing is displayed with 'quiet'. This is a separate change to
> > make I guess.
>
> That would be awesome. I assume this would cover a "stuck" boot as well?
>
> This is often mentioned complaint, see e.g. the recent discussion
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/01/msg00251.html
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/01/msg00253.html
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2014/01/msg00255.html

So, there has been this todo list item for a while to support a mode
where a failing service at boot would result in boot status output to be
turned on. Still not sure iof such a logic would be a good upstream
default, but certainly a good default for more technically-minded
distros such as Debian.

So maybe something like this: In addition to the boolean values for
systemd.show_status= on the kernel cmdline (or ShowStatus= in
system.conf), we'd add a third value called "auto". If that is set
we'd boot up without any status output, until either at least one
service failed, or at least one job reaches its timeout half-way. When
that point is reached we'c continue the entire rest of the boot with
status output enabled. And we wouldn't just turn the logging on, we'd
also explain why we turned it on in one "introductory" message: "Turning
on boot-time status output because of service failure:", or "Turning
on boot-time status output because of nearing job timeout:" or something
like that.

I'd be happy to see a patch like that merged.