[systemd-devel] sysusers and login.defs checks

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Jul 23 04:36:45 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 23/07/14 11:29 did gyre and gimble:
>> If there was a /usr/share/factory/etc/login.defs with e.g. 500 boundary
>> point, then this file would presumably be copied in by tmpfiles to
>> populate /etc/login.defs
>
> Of course one thing that makes this argument slightly invalid is that if
> you DO have a /usr/share/factory/etc/login.defs, then this file *should*
> be configured with the same boundary as systemd's built in defaults, so
> there should be no problem in the context of bootstrapping /etc.
>
> Therefore, if this is the case, then the argument for not reading and
> honouring /etc/login.defs if it exists is, IMO, invalid.
>
> Have I won Lennart? Are you now convinced that such a patch would be in
> the same category as Zbigniew's sysusers reading /etc/sysusers.d/ patch
> that already went in? :p

I don't see the rather artificially constructed case of an
/usr/share/factory/etc/login.defs + tmpfiles snippet to copy to /etc
as a valid argument for reading login.defs.

Configuring our own base bootstrap tools with /usr/share/factory/ + a
tmpfiles snippet to copy the stuff over to /etc is a cyclic loop we
just do not support, and which makes not much sense anyway.

Bootstrap-/etc-population is intended for "broken" tools that cannot
be fixed properly, not our own stuff, which does not need /etc
populated.

Kay