[systemd-devel] ~/.local/share/systemd/user

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Sat Jun 7 03:07:08 PDT 2014

Hi,

Currently, systemd symlinks ~/.local/share/systemd/user to
~/.config/systemd/user. I'd prefer to not have that symlink. I'd want
the two locations have different semantics, analogous to the separation
between /usr/lib/systemd/user and /etc/systemd/user, i.e. service
upstreams should install units to ~/.local/share/systemd/user and users
should customize in ~/.config/systemd/user.

I suppose there are very few service upstreams that install their
software to the user home directory, but I happen to be writing such
software myself. My project is just a toy, though, but I think the
general approach of installing a user service to the user home directory
makes sense, as it avoids the need to have root access.

So, would a patch that removes the symlinking be accepted?

--
Tanu