[systemd-devel] ~/.local/share/systemd/user

William Giokas 1007380 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 05:42:36 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jun 07, 2014 at 01:07:08PM +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, systemd symlinks ~/.local/share/systemd/user to
> ~/.config/systemd/user. I'd prefer to not have that symlink. I'd want the
> two locations have different semantics, analogous to the separation between
> /usr/lib/systemd/user and /etc/systemd/user, i.e. service upstreams should
> install units to ~/.local/share/systemd/user and users should customize in
> ~/.config/systemd/user.

For me this is a directory, not a symlink.

> I suppose there are very few service upstreams that install their software
> to the user home directory, but I happen to be writing such software myself.
> My project is just a toy, though, but I think the general approach of
> installing a user service to the user home directory makes sense, as it
> avoids the need to have root access.
>
> So, would a patch that removes the symlinking be accepted?

So for user services there are 3 directories that packages can be,
checked in order:

  ~/.config/systemd/user
  /etc/systemd/user/
  /usr/lib/systemd/user

I don't see a reason to have a fourth one 'for packages' in a users home
directory.

Thanks,

--
William Giokas | KaiSforza | http://kaictl.net/