[systemd-devel] mount units and symlinks

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 30 14:13:20 PDT 2014

On Mon, 30.06.14 13:27, Colin Walters (walters at verbum.org) wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014, at 12:49 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > This sounds confused. Why would the cloud images not use a tmpfs for
> > /tmp?
>
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/fedora-cloud-base.ks#n181

Oh, man. This is just stupid.

> > Anyway, to allow to avoid the discussion I have now added
> > ConditionPathIsSymbolicLink=!/tmp to tmp.mount. This will skip mounting
> > of the tmpfs if /tmp is already a symlink. This should fix your issue?
>
> Hmm, that would effectively force tmp to *not* be a tmpfs with the
> current tree.
>
> We just pushed a different fix for continuous to just make /tmp a
> regular directory, since there I'm comfortable assuming /tmp-on-tmpfs.

Not following?

> This makes physical /tmp be more broken for ostree systems, but maybe I
> can just ship some logic to bind mount it to /sysroot/tmp if it's not
> already a mount point, or so.  I'll figure something out.

Hmm, I already commited the fix I mentioned. Shall I revert it? It kinda
makes sense to me to leave the condition in, after all with a symlink
you revert redirect things to something else, and systemd cannot make
sense of that. Hence: if you redirect things then drop in a .mount file
for the new location, and don't do any mounts on /tmp itself.