[systemd-devel] synchronizing user service

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 11:45:36 PST 2014

Sorry for not being clear. The priob

On 3/7/14, Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 07.03.14 19:58, Alec Leamas (leamas.alec at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Being a systemd dummie, I have a problem. It's a about running a
>> service as a user, which needs to synchronize with a systemd service.
>
> What do you mean by "synchronize"?
>
>> Since the service needs to be part of the session, I presume that a
>> /systemd/user service isn't really the way to go (?): This leaves me
>> with the problem to start a service e. .g,, using a desktop file in
>> the autostart dir. The service needs a socket created by a systemd
>> service.
>
> You can simply order your system service before
> systemd-user-sessions.service. All user sessions are only started after
> that, hence ordering your service before that makes sure for users it is
> always accesssible.
>
>> As of now, I simply poll for the socket creation in a shell script.
>> It's just that my gut feeling is that this is not  really the way to
>> do this. Is there a better approach?
>
> Well, you can make it socket activated, but otherwise just order it like
> suggested above...

Sorry for not being clear...

I can't make it socket activated, nor can I order it. My user service
is *not* a systemd service since it needs to be part  of the session.
As of now, it's started as a desktop service using a desktop file.

So the question is: is there any "good" way for a non-systemd user
service to to things that systemd services does, like waiting on a
socket or somehow become part  of the ordering scheme?

--alec