[systemd-devel] synchronizing user service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 7 11:39:23 PST 2014

On Fri, 07.03.14 19:58, Alec Leamas (leamas.alec at gmail.com) wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Being a systemd dummie, I have a problem. It's a about running a
> service as a user, which needs to synchronize with a systemd service.

What do you mean by "synchronize"?

> Since the service needs to be part of the session, I presume that a
> /systemd/user service isn't really the way to go (?): This leaves me
> with the problem to start a service e. .g,, using a desktop file in
> the autostart dir. The service needs a socket created by a systemd
> service.

You can simply order your system service before
systemd-user-sessions.service. All user sessions are only started after
that, hence ordering your service before that makes sure for users it is
always accesssible.

> As of now, I simply poll for the socket creation in a shell script.
> It's just that my gut feeling is that this is not  really the way to
> do this. Is there a better approach?

Well, you can make it socket activated, but otherwise just order it like
suggested above...