[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Discoverable Partitions Spec

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 10 13:02:28 PDT 2014

On Mon, 10.03.14 19:34, Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijack at libero.it) wrote:

Heya,

> Instead of relying on the subvolume UUID, why not relying to the subvolume name: it would be more simple and flexible to manage them.
>
> For example supposing to use '@' as prefix for a subvolume name:
>
> @ 	-> root filesystem
> @etc	-> etc
> @home 	-> home
> [...]

Well, the name is property of the admin really. There needs to be a way
how the admin can label his subvolumes, with a potentially localized
name. This makes it unsuitable for our purpose, we cannot just take
possession of this and leave the admin with nothing.

On GPT there are also gpt partition labels and partition types. The
former are property of the admin, he can place there whatever he wants,
in whatever language he chooses... The latter however is how we make
sense of it on a semantical level.

> Or in another way we could group the different systems in subdirectories:
>
> @home		-> home of all the systems
> @srv		-> srv  of all the systems
> fedora/@	-> root of a fedora system
> fedora/@etc	-> etc of the fedora system
> fedora2/@	-> root of a fedora2 system
> fedora2/@etc	-> etc of the fedora2 system

I am pretty sure automatic discovery of mount points should not cover
the usecase where people install multiple distributions into the same
btrfs volume. THe automatic logic should cover the simple cases only,
and it sounds way over the top to support installing multiple OSes into
the same btrfs... I mean, people can do that, if they want to, they just
have to write a proper fstab, which I think is not too much too ask...