[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Discoverable Partitions Spec

Goffredo Baroncelli kreijack at libero.it
Mon Mar 10 15:39:12 PDT 2014

> On Mon, 10.03.14 19:34, Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijack at libero.it) wrote:
>
> Heya,
>
>> Instead of relying on the subvolume UUID, why not relying to the subvolume name: it would be more simple and flexible to manage them.
>>
>> For example supposing to use '@' as prefix for a subvolume name:
>>
>> @ 	-> root filesystem
>> @etc	-> etc
>> @home 	-> home
>> [...]
>
> Well, the name is property of the admin really. There needs to be a way
> how the admin can label his subvolumes, with a potentially localized
> name. This makes it unsuitable for our purpose, we cannot just take
> possession of this and leave the admin with nothing.

Instead of the name we can use the xattr to store these information.

> On GPT there are also gpt partition labels and partition types. The
> former are property of the admin, he can place there whatever he wants,
> in whatever language he chooses... The latter however is how we make
> sense of it on a semantical level.
>
>> Or in another way we could group the different systems in subdirectories:
>>
>> @home		-> home of all the systems
>> @srv		-> srv  of all the systems
>> fedora/@	-> root of a fedora system
>> fedora/@etc	-> etc of the fedora system
>> fedora2/@	-> root of a fedora2 system
>> fedora2/@etc	-> etc of the fedora2 system
>
> I am pretty sure automatic discovery of mount points should not cover
> the usecase where people install multiple distributions into the same
> btrfs volume. THe automatic logic should cover the simple cases only,
> and it sounds way over the top to support installing multiple OSes into
> the same btrfs... I mean, people can do that, if they want to, they just
> have to write a proper fstab, which I think is not too much too ask...

In your specification, you referred the use case of "container" (via nspawn / libvrt-lxc). which have to boot "a disk image". Why you don't mind to use a container on a btrfs snapshot ? I think that it will be reasonable to have different containers on a snapshots of the same filesystem-tree.

--
gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5