[systemd-devel] [BUG] debug logging is disabled at early stage

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 10 21:17:06 PDT 2014

On Fri, 28.02.14 15:19, Łukasz Stelmach (l.stelmach at samsung.com) wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am debugging some problems around mount_setup_early() and find that
> systemd, with log_max_level set to LOG_INFO in log.c and configured
> hundred lines below in main.c, is unable to tell me things I'd like to
> know. Just for today I can change log_max_level to LOG_DEBUG but it
> seems this single throb should be configurable before anything may fail.
>
> RFC?

It's difficult pulling this earlier. We want to keep a specific override
order in place between kernel cmdline, configuration file, env vars and
argv. However, at the same time not all of that is available at all the
time, and some things (like policy loading) need to take place before we
open an new fd...

So far when it came to debugging something this early in the code i just
recompiled the thing with a higher debug level, even if that sucks...