[systemd-devel] Setting cgroup properties on systemd --user

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 10 21:20:40 PDT 2014

On Mon, 24.02.14 19:48, Thomas Bächler (thomas at archlinux.org) wrote:

> I am trying to set properties on scopes or services of my user instance,
> for example:
>
>  systemctl --user set-property --runtime foobar.scope CPUShares=150
>
> This command returns without error, but in the journal, I get messages
> like this:
>
> systemd[5054]: Failed to set cpu.shares on
> /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user at 1000.service: No such file or directory
>
> followed by a similar message for each unit that is active under my user
> instance.
>
> What's going on here? Is this supposed to work?

Nope.

The perms logic for this hasn't been hashed out with Tejun yet. What I'd
like to see is that we can open up certain "safe" cgroup props for
unpriviliged systemd instances, like the ones for CPU shares. But this
hasn't been hashed out in all detail yet. For now, cgroup resource
control is only really available for system services.