[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] Discoverable Partitions Spec

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Fri Mar 14 07:35:53 PDT 2014

Op 14 mrt. 2014, om 15:23 heeft Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> het volgende geschreven:

> On Fri, 14.03.14 14:49, Koen Kooi (koen.kooi at linaro.org) wrote:
>
>>> It would be good if in the long run OS installers could adopt this and
>>> use the right partition type GUIDs automatically, to make this discovery
>>> work. For now however, you need to manually change the GPT type GUIDs of
>>> your installation if you want to make use of this scheme.
>>
>> So how do I get UUIDs allocated for 32bit and 64bit ARM?
>
> Do you use GPT on ARM?

The short answer: yes.

> I have now added them to the spec and systemd, since people kept asking
> all the time...
>
> They are not too useful though for avoiding root= on the kernel cmdline,
> since we only look for root disks on the ESP partition, and EFI isn't
> that real on ARM...

ARM ltd. likes to pretend arm64 will be UEFI+ACPI only, but yes, it's not that real yet. Having said that, what prompted this was the discussion of the portable container format, which mandates an ESP partition. If we're going to do that on arm we should also make sure to supports this partition spec :)

regards,

Koen