[systemd-devel] cryptsetup vs. swapon/fsck (some kind of race condition)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu May 15 09:27:44 PDT 2014

On Thu, 15.05.14 02:30, Andy Kittner (andy.kittner at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> '/dev/mapper/swap' found, link to '/dev/dm-1' will not be created
> >> Thats the first one I find a bit fishy, but it doesn't sound fatal
> >> either...
> >
> > This really looks as if you built the DM userspace stuff without udev
> > support. File a bug against you distro.
>
> That should not be the case, the udev useflag is enabled across the
> board and I just double-checked cryptsetup, libdevmapper and dmsetup
> with ldd;
> all are linked against libudev.
>
> Is there anything else I could/should check?

Well, something appears to create your device nodes, and it shouldn't do
that...

On a udev system userspace never creates any device nodes, that's done
on its own by the kernel via devtmpfs, udev then just creates symlinks
on top, or changes access rights. It appears that your LVM/DM installation
for some reason created device nodes anyway, and you need to figure out
why it did that, and turn this off. It might be in your initrd...

Further questions regarding LVM/DM should better be directed to the
LVM/DM people...