[systemd-devel] systemd-machined sigterm, cgroups trimmed

Major Hayden major at mhtx.net
Tue Nov 4 06:38:51 PST 2014

Hello there,

I'm currently running systemd 216 on Fedora 21 and I've found an issue where systemd-machined stops running and cgroups are trimmed from the scope of running qemu virtual machines.  The series of events looks like this:

  1) OpenStack nova creates a KVM virtual machine via libvirt
  2) Libvirt registers the VM with systemd-machined, cgroups appear
  3) 0-300 seconds pass
  4) systemd-machined gets a sigterm and stops
  5) cgroups are trimmed for running virtual machines

The cgroup trimming is a disaster because it removes devices.allow and devices.deny ACL's for the running virtual machine.

Here is a snippet of the systemd journal with two virtual machines running.  You'll see that systemd-machined gets a sigterm and stops:

  https://gist.github.com/major/2d76cbf0d0de0d62ce3f

Shortly after systemd-machined goes offline, the cgroups are removed.  Rebooting the hypervisor, rebooting a virtual machine, or building a new virtual machine will cause systemd-machined to start again but it will stop shortly afterwards.

I'm running libvirt 1.2.9 and systemd 216 on Linux 3.16.7.  Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Major Hayden