[systemd-devel] plans/roadmap for mdns support in resolved

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Nov 20 16:29:35 PST 2014

On Fri, 21.11.14 02:24, Vasiliy Tolstov (v.tolstov at selfip.ru) wrote:

> > Both LLMNR and mDNS are strictly per-link, they will not announce IP
> > addresses that are not on the very link that is used for traffic. That
> > means if you have eth0 then the hostname will be announced with eth0's
> > set of addersses on it. If you have eth1, then the hostname will be
> > announced with only eth1's addresses. And similar for dummy0's
> > addresses, or any other interface's.
> >
> > Also note that LLMNR/mDNS only works on interfaces that provide
> > multicasting, i.e. only those which appear in "ip link" with the
> > MULTICAST flag set.
> >
> > I am not sure I grok what you are trying to do, but do note that you
> > can easily add an additional address to any interface you like,
> > including the same address to multiple links. This means to make
> > resolved announce a specific address via LLMNR/mDNS is just a matter
> > of adding it to the interface via "ip addr add".
>

> My use case is useful when i have ecmp routing for dummy0 address (yes
> it have multicast option). In this case on other nodes this address
> available via two routing entries with equal cost.
> Why not add ability to advertise hostname based on one interface
> addresses, but use for communication another devices (in my case eth0,
> eth1).

LLMNR/mDNS are really about "zeroconf", i.e. something you don't
really have to configure to work... Hence each time we add an option
to configure it we kinda work against the whole concept...

Can't you just add the address to all of your interfaces, and give
them a low priority there, so that they aren't used as source address
there?