[systemd-devel] how to properly control the daemons or run advanced cmds

Flavio Leitner fbl at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 18:09:07 PST 2014

Hello,

The Open vSwitch is comprised by two daemons. One is a database and
another is the switch itself.

Currently we have the openvswitch.service which start/stop/reload the
service (both daemons) just fine.

However, we need to support hot-upgrade which means to stop the
vswitch daemon first, run a few special commands, reload the db
daemon and only then start the vswitch daemon.

I know about creating shell helpers for non-standard commands, but
since that needs to mess up with the daemons in a particular order,
I think systemd won't like the above external actions at all.

Any suggestion on how to handle this with systemd properly?

Thanks,
fbl