[systemd-devel] Native Journal source vs syslog forwarding

Gergely Nagy algernon at madhouse-project.org
Fri Nov 28 06:13:21 PST 2014

    Martin> So we either need the journal.conf.d/ feature and have journal-pulling
    Martin> sysloggers disable forwarding along the way, or we need to wait until
    Martin> all packaged sysloggers can read from the journal before we turn off
    Martin> forwarding by default.

For what its worth, syslog-ng upstream suggested another solution, that
appears to fix the issue (but I've yet to test it myself): if the
syslog-ng.service file does *not* Require=syslog.socket, then the
syslog.socket does not get started, and if it doesn't get started, the
journal will not do forwarding, either, and thus, the error messages
disappear too.

If this works (and I was assured it does), then no change is neccessary
in systemd itself, and I can trivially patch up the syslog-ng.service
file.