[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 1 14:37:54 PDT 2014

On Mon, 22.09.14 10:16, Dale R. Worley (worley at alum.mit.edu) wrote:

> 1. Systemd has some very large binaries, each of which implements many
> aspects of the system.  Conversely, the typical Un*x approach is to
> separate functions into many executablels, many of which are scripts.
> The latter approach makes customization easier, especially for
> sysadmins who aren't deeply familiar with the system.

We split up things into 80+ binaries.

> 2. Systemd includes a tremendous number of features and behaviors, but
> a lot of them aren't documented very well.  That's not so unusual in
> Un*x, but if you're introducing something new, nobody has any prior
> knowledge of it, and the lack of documentation becomes visible.

Please let us know where documentation is missing. I know a couple of
areas where documentation is lacking (such as the too muc hof the C
APIs we expose currently), but at least the user-facing stuff should
be pretty comprehesively documented. If you are missing docs for
something I'd be quite interested to know for which parts so that we
can actually fix it.