[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Lennart Poettering mzqohf at 0pointer.de
Wed Oct 1 14:42:44 PDT 2014

On Tue, 23.09.14 15:13, Dale R. Worley (worley at alum.mit.edu) wrote:

> > Again, this seems rather ignorant of the status quo. Between the blog
> > posts and wiki documentation and the 164 man pages, systemd is rather
> > copiously documented. Not to say that things can't be improved, but
> > by Linux standards we are at least making an effort. Bugs for missing
> > or unclear documentation and usually handled, and any patches for
> > documentation are applied fairly quickly.
>
> OK, I'd like to modify systemd's handling of mounts.  I've been told
> only that the units that are created from /etc/fstab are created and
> handled by the main systemd binary.  What documentation do I look at
> that explains how systemd actually does that, what the relevant source
> is, etc.?  With init scripts, I know it's somewhere in a script in
> /etc/rc.d/init.d; searching for "mount" probably reveals a couple of
> hundred lines of shell script within which the functionality is
> hiding.

As mentioned on this thread "systemctl help" on a unit is a really
easy way to get more information about it. Pretty much all units we
ship with systemd upstream contains the necessary meta information to
link it up directly with its docs.

mount units for /etc/fstab entries are nowadays generated from a so
called "generator", see systemd-fstab-generator(8).