[systemd-devel] [feature request] allow instances in file.preset

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 2 08:42:36 PDT 2014

On Thu, 25.09.14 20:29, Damien Robert (damien.olivier.robert+gmane at gmail.com) wrote:

> Damien Robert  wrote in message <m01rcj$dhh$2 at ger.gmane.org>:
> > I really like the new preset directive, and I plan to use preset files
> > to synchronise the services I launch at boot across my computers.
>
> Also according to the man file systemd.preset and my test,
> while user systemd units are looked in user folders:
>        $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/systemd/user/*
>        $HOME/.config/systemd/user/*
> preset files are only looked in system folders:
>        /etc/systemd/user-preset/*.preset
> Is there a reason for that?

Well kinda. The idea is that preset files are static data that contain a
suggested configuration, but that are not configuration itself. If you
apply the presets then you turn them into a configuration, but they
themselves are little more than just a suggestion.

Hence so far the idea was to look for the presets only in the dirs
where we look for static data, but not for configuration. We can
certainly revisit this though.