[systemd-devel] systemd-resolved D-Bus API documentation

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Oct 20 12:54:41 PDT 2014

On Mon, 20.10.14 21:42, Florian Weimer (fweimer at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 10/20/2014 09:36 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> >On Tue, 14.10.14 11:54, Florian Weimer (fweimer at redhat.com) wrote:
> >
> >>Is there some documentation of the D-Bus API and its expected
> >>behavior?
> >
> >No. We have not documented this so far, as we don't want to guarantee
> >API stabilitiy for this yet.
>
> Is there any way to test this code, short of writing my own client?

Yes, replace "dns" by "resolve" in /etc/nsswitch.conf. That way your
name lookups go via the daemon and are no longer done internally in
each process.

(Note that nss-resolve actually chainloads nss-dns should resolved not
be available. It should hence be a safe choice even during early-boot
and if resolved is turned off manually or broken for some reason).

Also, there's the "systemd-resolve-host" tool which is already pretty
useful.

> >>And is there a way to dump the contents of the internal cache?
> >
> >No, this is not available. (Note that strictly speaking the singular
> >word "cache" is misleading, as there are multiple caches in place, one
> >for each interface/protocol.) Not opposed to adding this though as a
> >debug feature, but I wonder what your particular usecase for that
> >would be?
>
> It would extremely helpful if you notice the cache has been poisoned and you
> want to figure out why.

Well, the dump won't tell you why really. Or what precisely do you
mean by "figuring out why"?