[systemd-devel] rpcbind static, want enabled

Andrei Borzenkov arvidjaar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 01:12:29 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Andrei Borzenkov composed on 2014-10-21 11:29 (UTC+0400):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> I have 27 Fedora 21 & 22 installations to real hardware, all originating via
>>> HTTP process. Half work as expected. Those that do have NetworkManager not
>>> installed, and have
>
>>>         rpcbind.service                         enabled
>
>>> Those that misbehave by having a more than a minute delay on attempt to mount
>>> nfs via fstab entries, of which half do and half do not have NetworkManager
>>> installed, have
>
>>>         rpcbind.service                         static
>
>> then it is socket activated, you need to enable rpcbind.socket.
>
> But every one of the failing installations already had:
>
>         rpcbind.socket                          enabled
>
> same as the working installations.
>
>>> With chkconfig and sysvinit it was a simple matter to enable rpcbind. With
>>> systemd evolved to v216 it seems I should be able to 'systemctl enable
>>> rpcbind.service', but that changes nothing on these installations. What's the
>>> obstacle here? If the explanation is in man systemctl or man rpcbind, I'm not
>>> finding it.
>
> Lots more blame, unit status and logs at:
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/F/NFS/
>
> Also Fedora mailing list thread:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2014-May/121461.html

May 29 00:40:00 g5eas rpc.statd[692]: Version 1.3.0 starting
May 29 00:40:00 g5eas systemd[1]: Started RPC bind service.

It looks like rpcbind is correctly attempted to be started when statd
tries to contact it so socket activation appears to work as far as
systemd is concerned. Then for some reasons rpcbind fails to process
request from statd.

Enabling more debugging on rpcbind and/or statd may explain why
registration fails.