[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Oct 21 01:45:13 PDT 2014

Hi Rob,

Am Montag, 6. Oktober 2014, 14:56:22 schrieb Rob Owens:
> [...]

Thank you for voicing your concerns as one of the many users who where not so
hesitant to voice their concerns on the debian-user mailing list.

> > Here the feedback I read over and over again is that you and RedHat
> > basically forced the systemd decision onto other distributions. While I
> > do not see how you actually can be powerful enough to do that, as we live
> > in a free will zone. I do see tendencies that more and more stuff
> > *depends* on systemd cause it needs features only available there.
> >
> > On of the most talked on things on debian-user is the logind thing. GNOME
> > actually depends on it, as far as I know. While KDE in Debian still uses
>
> > ConsoleKit, as it seems to me when looking at the process list and finding:
> On Debian, I came across an unusual dependency.  Installing a cd burner
> (brasero) required me to change my init system to systemd.  Sounds kind of
> ridiculous, I think.  The dependency chain went like this:
>
> brasero -> gvfs -> gvfs-daemons -> udisks2 -> libpam-systemd -> systemd-sysv

I really find this kind of chain quite ridiculous.

But if its breakable at least as Martin told… still.

I think its important to make sure that installing brasero does not
accidentally switch a sysvinit system to systemd. As it would be the least a
user would expect here and from common sense it does not even make sense. It
may make sense technically as explained, but from a user and sysadmin point of
view it does not make any sense at all and is quite disruptive.

Ciao,