[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Oct 22 13:38:01 PDT 2014

On Wed, 22.10.14 15:54, Dale R. Worley (worley at alum.mit.edu) wrote:

> > From: Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>
>
> > We are always interested in technical feedback.
> >
> > We are not very interested in FUD mails that tell us how we'd "force"
> > people, how we'd behave like microsoft and so on. That's not useful,
> > that's pretty much only hurtful.
>
> I haven't read this full thread, and it probably isn't useful for me
> to do so.  But it seems that the first question to be answered by the
> developers is:
>
> 	Are they concerned that uptake is not as fast as they'd like?

No. We are not concerned. Within three years all most major distros opted
for systemd as default. That's way more and way quicker than what we
could ever hope for.

> and if the answer to that is Yes, then:
>
> 	Would they like to hear feedback from users as to what they
> 	might do about it?

Yes, we always ask for good feedback. Much of what systemd is today is
the result of getting and incorporating feedback.

However, we are not really interested in constantly repeated claims of
"forcing" and "being like microsoft", because that's neither original,
nor true, nor interesting, nor technical, nor relevant.

Also, note that while we care a lot for useful feedback we will not
implement everything people ask for, and even deny patches. Saying
"no" to patches and suggestions is necessary to keep the project on
track. We will continue to do so. If figure by average though, we
probably implement two suggestions we got through feedback for every
one suggestion we refuse. And if we say "no" to a suggestion or patch
you'll at least get an explanation why.

hence, please keep the feedback coming, we appreciate it, but please
stay relevant, and please don't be put off if we say "no" to
something. if we say "no" to some thing, try again with something
else.

Thanks,