[systemd-devel] systemd build dependency on dbus

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at google.com
Thu Oct 23 04:06:18 PDT 2014

Hi Lennart,

On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 25.08.14 21:58, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:
>> Indeed it would be good to clarify that libdbus is not required at
>> build time (except for the test case, and maybe it can be made
>> optional or dynamic loaded in that one?) There seems to be other
>> configurations that are pulled from dbus, like the dbuspolicydir,
>> dbussessionservicedir, etc.
>
> The current configure.ac logic is actually broken. We pretend that
> dbus was optional, but we use it's pkg-config file to derive the
> default paths you point out.
>
> We should fix that. Happy to take a patch. Also added a TODO list item
> for this.

Last time I looked, I was under the impression that the dbus
pkg-config was also used to define some variables dbus* that defined
the /etc directories where some of the files were installed (in
particular, I recall the policykit files were on that list but I
believe there are more.)

I'll take a look at making the dbus dependency optional but I'll take
my time to make sure it's done right. Expect a patch sometime next
week.

Cheers,
Filipe