[systemd-devel] systemd build dependency on dbus

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 23 04:21:31 PDT 2014

On Thu, 23.10.14 07:06, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 25.08.14 21:58, Filipe Brandenburger (filbranden at google.com) wrote:
> >> Indeed it would be good to clarify that libdbus is not required at
> >> build time (except for the test case, and maybe it can be made
> >> optional or dynamic loaded in that one?) There seems to be other
> >> configurations that are pulled from dbus, like the dbuspolicydir,
> >> dbussessionservicedir, etc.
> >
> > The current configure.ac logic is actually broken. We pretend that
> > dbus was optional, but we use it's pkg-config file to derive the
> > default paths you point out.
> >
> > We should fix that. Happy to take a patch. Also added a TODO list item
> > for this.
>
> Last time I looked, I was under the impression that the dbus
> pkg-config was also used to define some variables dbus* that defined
> the /etc directories where some of the files were installed (in
> particular, I recall the policykit files were on that list but I
> believe there are more.)

Yes, exactly, that is what I was saying.

The behaviour should really be to:

1. take the paths from configure switches
2. if they are not specified, try to get them from pkg-config
3. if the relevant pkg-config files are not installed, generate an error and refuse build

This way things should work smoothly without dbus/polkit/... around on
the build host as long as you specify the paths manually. But if you
don't and we cannot find them we'll rightfully fail.

> I'll take a look at making the dbus dependency optional but I'll take
> my time to make sure it's done right. Expect a patch sometime next
> week.

Thanks, that would be great!