[systemd-devel] Stop Job for User Manager

Chris Bell cwbell at mail.usf.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:38:02 PDT 2014

It looks like Fedora recently implemented changes in the user at .service
unit file to address this issue. They use:

ExecStop=/bin/kill -TERM ${MAINPID}
KillSignal=SIGCONT

as opposed to KillMode=mixed. I think this is why I haven't been able
to reproduce this on my Fedora 20 box recently. The discussion that
led to this change is at
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.systemd.devel/16363

The patch in the Fedora git repo:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/systemd.git/tree/0266-Temporary-work-around-for-slow-shutdown-due-to-unter.patch?h=f20

The changes are live in Fedora 20; my F19 server and Arch box don't
have these modifications. The patch was submitted mid-September.

Is this a 'valid' workaround? Is there a better way? Any comments from
those in the know?

I apologize if I'm asking this in the wrong place; I've had a very
hard time getting assistance with this. If there's a better place to
have this discussion, please let me know.
Chris Bell

Ph.D. Student
University of South Florida
College of Engineering