[systemd-devel] How soon after login can I rely on systemd --user having reached sockets.target?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Oct 23 16:09:56 PDT 2014

On Wed, 22.10.14 12:57, Damien Robert (damien.olivier.robert+gmane at gmail.com) wrote:

> Lennart Poettering  wrote in message <20141020173828.GA4509 at gardel-login>:
> > They should probably adopt socket activation anyway, otherwise they'd
> > be quite annoying on multi-user systems if lingering is used.
>
> I am brainstorming here, but would it make sense to add hooks to logind
> when a session is started/closed (both system hooks and user hooks)?
>
> For instance when I log into X, my .xprofile contains
>     systemctl --no-block --user  start "xsession@${DISPLAY}.target"
> to start my user services.

The intention here is that a new version of "gnome-session" (or
equivalent) would issue a command equivalent to this as its primary
job, and then just stay hanging until the X display dies.

So, I really would prefer if this logic wasn't just a "hook", but
actually the primary action of logging in graphically via a display
manager.

Note though that in the scheme I'd propose for GNOME we wouldn't
support multiple parallel logins of the same user anymore. Instead, if
you do this we'd add the seat you are logging into to your existing
session. On multiseat setups you could hence merge multiple seats into
a single meta-session with the workspace spanning all of the seats if
you keep logging in with the same user.