[systemd-devel] systemd and power management

Daniel Hollocher danielhollocher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:00:42 PDT 2014

Hey folks,
I'm a not expert here, so please forgive the low quality/interest of my
question.

I'm curious what the ideal systemd way is to set various power management
settings in the /sys tree.  For me personally, I'm looking to set
sampling_down_factor as without it, ondemand has terrible performance on my
particular computer (a 10-30% loss compared to performance or conservative).

Currently, Ubuntu uses a sysv init script to set ondemand after boot, and I
could edit that.  It would be cool to know the ideal systemd way, that
could also be aware of power saving stuff.

>From googling, it seems that tempfiles or sysctrl is not the way to go,
since those only happen at boot.  Udev?  The examples I've found seem to
make basic usage of udev to detect power changes, and then drop to a script
to do the bulk of the work.  Is that it?

Thanks!