[systemd-devel] Log unit's name instead of unit's description?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 8 02:34:27 PDT 2014

Am 08.09.2014 um 11:21 schrieb Colin Guthrie:
> Reindl Harald wrote on 06/09/14 00:59:

>>> It is somewhat expected that Description= will just have a
>>> more-readable version of the program's name, rather than some useless
>>> marketing. (Arch has "Apache Web Server" in its httpd.service.) I
>>> guess the service name also wasn't added because it'd make some lines
>>> really long, and because the journal can be queried for it anyway (-o
>>> verbose, etc)
>>
>> that don't change the fact that a desription is just a description
>> and systemd lacks a name value - logging like "starting start stops
>> whatever service" and "staretd start stops whatever service" is odd
>
> I would argue that a Description= line which says "start stops whatever
> service" is a really bad description anyway. Surely
> "Description=Whatever" would make more sense here?

that may be true, however a *description* explains something and
is by definition verbose and probably long and leads to linebreaks

a name is normally short

> And yes, this is just the message output. With -o verbose you can see
> the actual unit name anyway, so I'd say it's better he way it is now IMO

no

by logging unit's name if you really have no clue about a service
you can do "systemctl status servicename" and see the decription

but that don't happen often because:

* most unit names are pretty clear
* you should know about services running on your machine
* at least after "systemctl status" you know anyways