[systemd-devel] Log unit's name instead of unit's description?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 03:56:40 PDT 2014

On 05/09/14 18:22, Jakub Klinkovský wrote:
> What is the reason behind logging unit's description? Consider the
> following journal message (from `journalctl -b`):
>
> systemd[1]: Starting A secure, fast, compliant and very flexible
> web-server...

As a data point, Debian's init scripts have traditionally combined the
description and name like this:

    Starting miscellaneous widget daemon: miscd.
    Starting Apache web server: apache2.

Perhaps something like this would make more (grammatical and UI) sense
for a systemd unit named miscd.service with Description="Miscellaneous
widget daemon", in a way that degrades gracefully if the maintainer
has (IMO incorrectly) used a Description like the one quoted above?

    systemd[1]: Starting miscd.service (Miscellaneous widget daemon)...
    systemd[1]: Started miscd.service (Miscellaneous widget daemon).
    systemd[1]: Starting apache2.service (Apache web server)...
    systemd[1]: Started apache2.service (Apache web server).

or

    systemd[1]: Starting miscd.service: Miscellaneous widget daemon...
    systemd[1]: Started miscd.service: Miscellaneous widget daemon.
    systemd[1]: Starting apache2.service: Apache web server...
    systemd[1]: Started apache2.service: Apache web server.

As a native Speaker of a Language that does not capitalize Nouns :-)
I've always found "Starting Miscellaneous widget daemon" a bit
jarring. Or is the intention that that unit should have had
"miscellaneous widget daemon", without the initial capital, as its
Description?

Regards,