[systemd-devel] So how am I supposed to put together my Linux system?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 11:02:09 PDT 2014

On 09/09/14 16:01, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> On Mageia and Fedora (at least originally, not sure if it's changed
> recently), the modules are in:
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/
> tree.
> The actual modules are stored in a:
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/
> subfolder.

It's the same on Debian and its derivatives, FWIW.

Out-of-tree, backported or otherwise weird modules go in a different
subdirectory of /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/. In particular, I think
I've seen /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/updates/ used for backported
versions of newer graphics drivers which should take precedence over the
in-tree version.

> Inside there would be a:
> /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/modules/
> folder containing the actual modules (same as
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/)

This seems like moving things around for the sake of moving things
around. If Fedora, Debian and Mageia all use
/lib/modules/<kvers>/kernel/ then it seems reasonably likely that
everyone else does too.

Also, the kernel/ subdirectory does exist for a reason: it's where
in-tree modules from that kernel go (as opposed to backports of newer
drivers, or out-of-tree modules like kdbus).