[systemd-devel] So how am I supposed to put together my Linux system?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Sep 10 09:42:16 PDT 2014

Simon McVittie wrote on 09/09/14 19:02:
>> > Inside there would be a:
>> > /usr/lib/kernel/<kernel-version>/modules/
>> > folder containing the actual modules (same as
>> > /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/kernel/)

> This seems like moving things around for the sake of moving things
> around. If Fedora, Debian and Mageia all use
> /lib/modules/<kvers>/kernel/ then it seems reasonably likely that
> everyone else does too.

Well my only logic was that putting a vmlinuz file in /lib/modules/...
tree doesn't "sound" right. I mean it's not a module - it's the actual
kernel! But modules are "modules of the kernel" so keeping them inside a
/lib/kernel/ feels OK.

But if it's just not worth the hassle, then perhaps the kernel can just
live in /lib/modules/<kvers>/vmlinuz

> Also, the kernel/ subdirectory does exist for a reason: it's where
> in-tree modules from that kernel go (as opposed to backports of newer
> drivers, or out-of-tree modules like kdbus).

Fair enough.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie