[systemd-devel] journal repair

Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek zbyszek at in.waw.pl
Fri Sep 19 07:10:57 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 10:00:02AM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> Is the plan to introduce an repair switch or is the plan to inform
> the users how they should proceed if that is not the case since
> users are getting confused when they encounter journal errors like
> these
>
> Data object missing from hash at entry...
> Data object references invalid entry at...
> Invalid tail monotonic timestamp...
> Invalid object contents at...
> File corruption detected at...
> etc.
>
> And are wasting their time on the internet searching for means to
> fix those errors.
>
> I think we need to somehow provide the end user with the next step
> once a corruption of anykind has been detected in the relevant
> journal file even if it's just.
It is now possible to "fix" files by rewriting them:

  journalctl --file /var/log/xxx.journal | systemd-journal-remote --file /tmp/xxx.journal -
  mv /tmp/xxx.journal /var/log/xxx.journal

We could easily provide the functionality to do this automatically,
but I don't know how useful this would be.

> "FAIL: corruption detected, your logs are fucked delete the file."
The error is usually at the end, so deleting all entries just because
one is bad does not seem reasonable.

Zbyszek