[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 05:44:19 PDT 2014

On 09/22/2014 12:07 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> >Then file a bug report against rsyslog and provide a patch which fixes
>> >the default log filtering in Fedora to your expectation but leave
>> >systemd out of it.
> wow - in any other case the systemd developers saying that
> they don't workround things because problems has to be
> solved at the root-cause - practice what you preach and
> make the log-verbosility configureable!

Serves no purpose whatsoever doing that.

> * rsyslog is*not*  responsible for the message flood produced by systemd

No but it is responsible for the filtering <-- of log messages.

> * systemd is the one producing it without prefixes

This is simply untrue as "journalctl -o export" will show you.

I suggest you stop blaming systemd for your own administrative
incompetence and broken implementation of rsyslog and syslog-ng in
Fedora ( I tried to get it fixed before we defaulted to journal YES IT
WAS BROKEN BEFORE AND STILL IS but was not allowed to do so thank those
Red Hatters in the governing body's of Fedora ( FESCO/FPC ) for it's
brokeness  ) and write an rsyslog template suited for your environment
which will filter things to your liking and expectation or better yet
complain to those FESCO/FPC members since they need to learn a hard
lesson of accepting responsibility for their own actions in the
distribution.

You can find how to write an rsyslog template in the upstream rsyslog
documentation using it's powerful filtering capabilities and by looking
at for example the one spice-vdagentd /etc/rsyslog.d/spice-vdagentd.conf
in Fedora.

JBG