[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Sep 22 07:51:01 PDT 2014

Am 22.09.2014 um 16:41 schrieb Simon McVittie:
> On 22/09/14 10:23, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> honestly the messages about "reaching target" are nonsense without
>> a prefix pointing out that it is about a *user session* because it
>> looks like a bootlog every minute
>
> You can tell this is not the system instance of systemd (init) because
> its process ID is > 1. systemd[1] indicates the system instance,
> systemd[anything else] is a user instance. This might be a useful
> basis for a filter.

first: thank you for a normal answer instead "shut up and go away"

if you take that as decision for drop messages you have several problems

* drop anything from "systemd" with PID != 1 will also affect
  future things nobody knows now and not related to user-sessions
  and so not happening every minute caused by cron
* it is wasting of ressources for produce *and* filter the messages

> Configuring a higher (more severe) LogLevel in /etc/systemd/user.conf
> would probably also help in your situation

why is it refused with such a vehemence to consider make
default loggings not that verbose in general and act like
many other software packages: configured log levels with
non verbose defaults

* informational
* warning
* error
* fatal error

the goal should not be produce a growing amount over the time
and then force users how to filter it away - it should not
be produced (produce and filter both taking ressources)

the relevant information "New session started" was already
produced by systemd-logind before introduce the new verbose
log and that was easy to direct to /var/log/secure because
the process name

the normal user cares about

* started
* no error logged
* ended

but not about more details until something needs debugging
which is unusual as long you are not a systemd-developer