[systemd-devel] I wonder… why systemd provokes this amount of polarity and resistance

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Sep 22 08:04:54 PDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:44 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 09/22/2014 12:07 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> Am 22.09.2014 um 13:45 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:

>>> again: we talk about rsyslog, like it or not
>

>> Then file a bug report against rsyslog and provide a patch which fixes
>> the default log filtering in Fedora to your expectation but leave
>> systemd out of it.
>
> wow - in any other case the systemd developers saying that
> they don't workround things because problems has to be
> solved at the root-cause - practice what you preach and
> make the log-verbosility configureable!
>

> Serves no purpose whatsoever doing that.
>

> * rsyslog is *not* responsible for the message flood produced by systemd
>

> No but it is responsible for the filtering <-- of log messages.
>
> * systemd is the one producing it without prefixes
>

> This is simply untrue as "journalctl -o export" will show you.
>
> I suggest you stop blaming systemd for your own administrative incompetence
> and broken implementation of rsyslog and syslog-ng in Fedora

Please let's not stoop to this level of name-calling. I haven't
followed this debate in detail, so I don't know how this should be
solved, but it seems fair to say that Harald's experience is
suboptimal, so let's focus on making constructive suggestions for how
journald/rsyslog or the local/distro config could be improved, rather
than who is to blame.

Anyway, I think this is decidedly off-topic for this thread, so please
move this elsewhere.

Cheers,

Tom