[systemd-devel] Systemd-networkd -- Cannot acquire DHCP lease on bridge interface

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:52:18 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 04:56:55PM -0700, James Lott wrote:
> Actually, the reason I am using dhcpcd fro mthe command line is as a debugging
> measure, because I originally setup a .network file for this interface to
> attempt to allow systemd-networkd to handle acquiring the DHCP lease.

You could run networkd manually as
# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-networkd

but this will also show endless DISCOVER attempts. In my case, I controlled the
DHCP server, and according to its logs the lease is actually assigned but the
client never receives it. So, I suspect a bug either in kernel or systemd
because packets get lost in the bridge (or bond in my case). I suspect the
former because restarting networkd didn't help (i.e. the DHCP lease never got
received).

> Yuck. I'm really not a fan of netctl, and would probably sooner hack together
> some oneshot service files that manually setup the interfaces and acquire
> leases. So it sounds like systemd-networkd is not quite ready for prime time
> when it comes to being a complete interface management solution. I guess
> that's what I get for living life on the edge ;)

Netctl is better in this situation because it allows ordering of different
profiles w.r.t. each other because they are just systemd services (in networkd
language this would be ordering of different .net* units if such existed). So
you can first set up vlans, then bridge and do the DHCP stuff.

There is an additional problem with networkd: you never know how to order
against it. Sure there are network* targets (and ideally things _should_ work)
but they are useless in this context because they can be reached before
(virtual) devices are actually initialized. OTOH, when a netctl script
successfully returns, you know that things are properly set up.

Hopefully this thread attracts relevant attention because I don't know how to
debug this...

HTH,
--
Leonid Isaev
GPG fingerprints: DA92 034D B4A8 EC51 7EA6  20DF 9291 EE8A 043C B8C4