[systemd-devel] initrd mount inactive

Aaron_Wright at selinc.com Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
Wed Apr 29 12:09:37 PDT 2015

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote on 04/27/2015 12:47:38
PM:
> On Mon, 27.04.15 11:47, Aaron_Wright at selinc.com
> (Aaron_Wright at selinc.com) wrote:
>
> > I applied commit 628c89cc68ab96fce2de7ebba5933725d147aecc - core:
rework
> > device state logic, but now I'm left with a random chance to boot or
not.

> > Some boots it comes up with "/var mounted" and lots of nice colored "[
OK
> > ]"s.
> >
> > Some boots it comes up with "Unit var.mount is bound to inactive unit
> > /dev/mapper/<name>. Stopping, too." and no colored "[ OK ]"s and about

> > half the logs; only the "systemd[1]" messages, and it just hangs at
some
> > point; it never reaches the default target.
> >
> > I create /dev/mapper/<name> in initrd with cryptsetup, and then mount
it
> > to /newroot/var before switching root to /newroot and running systemd.
> > don't use systemd in initrd.
>
> Make sure to apply 496068a8288084ab3ecf8b179a8403ecff1a6be8
> and f62009410a72f5a89bfb8fdd7e48d9d472a6887b.
>
> Also make sure you have LVM/DM compiled with proper udev support.

Thanks for hearing me out on this.

I applied those other commits you listed, and I took a look at the lvm2
package, which was being compile with "--disable-udev_sync" and "
--disable-udev_rules". I enabled both of those and recompiled both lvm2
and systemd.

Nothing changed. Sometimes var.mount is still bound to an inactive
/dev/mapper/<name>.

Do I need the *.rules files from lvm2?

So an additional question, is it a requirement to use udev in initrd where
/var is decrypted and mounted? I currently wasn't doing so. I just use
whatever devtmpfs gave me.