[systemd-devel] Console screen blanks while long running service executes

Harry Goldschmitt Harry.Goldschmitt at quantum.com
Wed Aug 12 17:19:39 PDT 2015

I just modified my grub kernel command line to add the consoleblank=0 parameter. That isn't the problem. First consoleblank is the kernel screensaver and according to the documentation it kicks in after 15 minutes by default. What I'm doing for testing is:
1) systemctl set-default foo.target
2) foo.target.wants/foo.service
3) foo.service invokes /mydir/foo.sh
4) /mydir/foo.sh consists of
echo "foo.sh starting to sleep"
logger  "foo.sh starting to sleep"
sleep 10
echo "foo.sh after sleep"
logger "foo.sh after sleep"
systemctl isolate multi-user.target

What I see is a few kernel driver start up messages. Then the console screen blanks for about 10 seconds. Then multi-user boot completes. What I'm hoping to see is:
foo.sh starting to sleep
foo.sh after sleep