[systemd-devel] Console screen blanks while long running service executes

Chris Bell cwbell at narmos.org
Wed Aug 12 19:22:03 PDT 2015

On 2015-08-12 20:19, Harry Goldschmitt wrote:
> I just modified my grub kernel command line to add the consoleblank=0
> parameter. That isn't the problem. First consoleblank is the kernel
> screensaver and according to the documentation it kicks in after 15
> minutes by default.
>
> What I see is a few kernel driver start up messages. Then the console
> screen blanks for about 10 seconds. Then multi-user boot completes.

The only other thing I can think of is when modesetting kicks in and is
configuring your graphics adapter? You could try adding the 'nomodeset'
kernel parameter to your boot, but keep in mind that you will lose
kernel modesetting, which could potentially cause issues with your
system. I'm not sure what else would cause the screen to 'blank' like
you are describing at that point in the boot.

--Chris