[systemd-devel] possible kernel crash on bootctl install, can anyone confirm?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Aug 14 10:45:09 PDT 2015

On Fri, 14.08.15 19:42, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I was trying to install archlinux with linux 4.1, systemd-224 on the
> uefi machine.
> At the end of system installation, I issued bootctl install command
> from within chroot, but the command has failed because I did not have
> access to efi variables.
> After that, I have done:
> mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars (the
> mountpoint path may be wrong but you get the idea)
> And, after the next bootctl install, the system froze. I am blind and
> didn't ask anyone what happened, but I believe that the kernel panicked.
> Is this related to mounting efivarfs two times and modifying
> variables, or what? I do not have any vm to test it on, well. Can
> anyone confirm that something like that happens either normally or
> when mounting efivarfs twice?

No, that should work fine. You can mount the fs as many times as you
wish, and that should be without issues. If it is, that'd be a kernel
bug, and needs to be fixed there.

Note that systemd mounts efivarfs automatically to
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars anyway, so there should be no reason to ever
mount int manually?