[systemd-devel] possible kernel crash on bootctl install, can anyone confirm?

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 10:45:38 PDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 8:42 PM, Michał Zegan <webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl>
wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I was trying to install archlinux with linux 4.1, systemd-224 on the
> uefi machine.
> At the end of system installation, I issued bootctl install command
> from within chroot, but the command has failed because I did not have
> access to efi variables.
> After that, I have done:
> mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars (the
> mountpoint path may be wrong but you get the idea)
> And, after the next bootctl install, the system froze. I am blind and
> didn't ask anyone what happened, but I believe that the kernel panicked.
> Is this related to mounting efivarfs two times and modifying
> variables, or what? I do not have any vm to test it on, well. Can
> anyone confirm that something like that happens either normally or
> when mounting efivarfs twice?

This might be a bug in 4.1's EFI variables handling... A few people in
#archlinux, including myself, have noticed crashes if the efivars are
accessed after hibernate & resume (on first try, efibootmgr segfaults; on
second try, the kernel panics). I haven't gotten around to reporting it yet.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com>