[systemd-devel] Console screen blanks while long running service executes

Harry Goldschmitt Harry.Goldschmitt at quantum.com
Sun Aug 16 15:21:24 PDT 2015

On 8/12/15 7:22 PM, Chris Bell wrote:
> On 2015-08-12 20:19, Harry Goldschmitt wrote:
>> I just modified my grub kernel command line to add the consoleblank=0
>> parameter. That isn't the problem. First consoleblank is the kernel
>> screensaver and according to the documentation it kicks in after 15
>> minutes by default.
>>
>> What I see is a few kernel driver start up messages. Then the console
>> screen blanks for about 10 seconds. Then multi-user boot completes.
> The only other thing I can think of is when modesetting kicks in and is
> configuring your graphics adapter? You could try adding the 'nomodeset'
> kernel parameter to your boot, but keep in mind that you will lose
> kernel modesetting, which could potentially cause issues with your
> system. I'm not sure what else would cause the screen to 'blank' like
> you are describing at that point in the boot.
>
> --Chris

I found it. Not a systemd issue at all. "console=ttyS0" had been dropped
from the kernel command line. Without it my Dell iDrac virtual console
went grey after GRUB boot. After I added the parameter the console
stayed live and I could echo errors to /dev/tty1. I know everything I
need is available by journalctl, but the echos help when the system
doesn't come up far enough for journalctl to work.

Thanks for looking at this.

The information contained in this transmission may be confidential. Any disclosure, copying, or further distribution of confidential information is not permitted unless such privilege is explicitly granted in writing by Quantum. Quantum reserves the right to have electronic communications, including email and attachments, sent across its networks filtered through anti virus and spam software programs and retain such messages in order to comply with applicable data security and retention requirements. Quantum is not responsible for the proper and complete transmission of the substance of this communication or for any delay in its receipt.