[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:17:38 PST 2015

> What he proposed is redundant and adds an extra line to the unit file and in
> addition requires some distro's acceptance that upstream needs to be aware
> of when it creates the unit for it's daemon/service.
>
> His proposal
>
> [Unit]
> Description=Sample unit
> # Unesseray line added
> Environment=OPTS=FOO
>
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/path/to/daemon $OPTS

That's not what I proposed.

What I proposed was, that the ExecStart contains a $OPTS (which by
default would be empty).

This would allow the admin to extend the ExecStart line easily with a
drop-in snippet using Environment=

I didn't suggest adding a line Environment=OPTS=FOO by default.

The benefit of that instead of having to override the complete
ExecStart line should be obvious and has already be mentioned in this
very thread.

universe are pointed away from Earth?