[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 08:11:18 PST 2015

On 12/21/2015 02:15 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> and since you say this what is your business for taking
> "EnvironmentFile" away from administrators area - my config, take your
> hands from it instead propose to break it - nobody cares if you would
> something do in a different way as long you are not trying to force
> others change their setups for no good reason

Because environmental lines or files that are spesific to daemon startup
( not it's environment ) have no value being there in the first place
none what so ever and I'm saying this after going through and migrate
around 400 legacy sysv initscripts and inspecting about 200 more.

They might have served some value in the legacy sysv initscripts since
those where in the lines of hundreds ( the largest I migrated was about
800 - 900 lines long ) but for some reason distribution decided to move
the OPT= or OPTIONS= from the sysv scripts and into their own specific
environmental file instead ( you used to configure it directly in the
initscript itself and upstream could just ship it like that regardless
of the distribution most likely distribution did so due to the share
size of those legacy sysv initscripts ).

JBG