[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:16:08 PST 2015

Am Mon, 21 Dec 2015 23:29:57 +0100
schrieb Marc Haber <mh+systemd-devel at zugschlus.de>:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:14:43PM +0100, Kai Krakow wrote:
> > I cannot see anything here in the thread which would disallow
> > continue using non-systemd installations.
>
> The problem is that many concepts of systemd are really nice. Once
> wants to have things like that.

I can totally second that.

> The problem is that a minoriy of concepts and the attitude of the
> makers make working with systemd a constant source of increased blood
> pressure and a strong urge to break something expensive just to get
> rid of the aggression.

Yep, I probably cannot deny that.

But to push forward a software like systemd and make it successful you
probably need that kind of attitude. And without this "hard course"
systemd wouldn't be what it is now - it wouldn't have those strong,
well-thought concepts but instead be some set of tools trying to do
everything somehow but almost nothing truly correct (correct in terms
of stability and reliability). Nobody would've noticed, few would have
adapted it, and probably no one would continue to use it.

Look at the kernel, with Linus. His attitude surely conflicts with one
or another person, probably even a lot of them. But his straight course
made the kernel a success. It is stable because it doesn't let everyone
introduce some broken concepts.

But one could argue that backwards compatibility is probably handled
different (but systemd is a new project while the kernel is not). Tho,
old binaries probably wont run under modern kernels - what is probably
related to glibc mostly or dropped aout support.

And getting to glibc, I remember there have been "attitude
compatibility issues" with the devs, too, in the past. And people who
forked the project... Yeah... I think many did not even notice. Glibc
just worked for them.

So, every project probably has this type of person or dev. And those
people are needed for the long-term success of the project. And given
the loudness of some people here I can totally understand Lennart
reacting in the one or other way - even if it hits people who don't
deserve it.

Back to concepts: I'm always trying to find my way through the new
ideas, trying to understand it instead of denying it, then re-apply my
workflow. If it doesn't fit, throw either that away, or the software.
Probably one of many reasons why I chose Gentoo, although I sometimes
play with the idea of trying Fedora. But in the end I would miss much
of the freedom I currently have (and make use of).

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.