[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:08:59 PST 2015

On 12/23/2015 08:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 23.12.2015 um 21:12 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
>> On 12/23/2015 07:30 PM, Alex Crawford wrote:
>>> I like this model and I'm not sure how I would solve this if
>>> EnvironmentFile
>>> didn't exist.
>>
>> The usual underlying cause of usage of Environment or EnvironmentFile in
>> type units is more or less always due to the fact that the
>> daemon/service cannot read configuration file on startup thus the answer
>> is you would use a daemon that was written in a such manner it could
>> read configuration file, generate that file and get rid of the extra
>> administrator step of having administrators create and use drop-in's or
>> am I missing something?
>
> and what's the difference between a config file or "EnvironmentFile"
> besides you like the one for whatever reason more while both are
> config files?

Environment entry's or files containing environment entries are not
configuration files.

Not by a mile even from a security perspective.

Why would you even think that and FYI environment variables are still
declared somewhere in a file so why not just create a config file which
is read within the processes and be on the safe side?

Sorry I dont grok how you come to the conclusion that both of these are
config files, treated the same or even what people think they are
gaining something using environment entry's that reside in a file over
configuration files in the first place.

JBG