[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Dec 23 14:40:09 PST 2015

Am 23.12.2015 um 23:08 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:

> On 12/23/2015 08:18 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> The usual underlying cause of usage of Environment or EnvironmentFile in
>>> type units is more or less always due to the fact that the
>>> daemon/service cannot read configuration file on startup thus the answer
>>> is you would use a daemon that was written in a such manner it could
>>> read configuration file, generate that file and get rid of the extra
>>> administrator step of having administrators create and use drop-in's or
>>> am I missing something?
>>
>> and what's the difference between a config file or "EnvironmentFile"
>> besides you like the one for whatever reason more while both are
>> config files?
>
> Environment entry's or files containing environment entries are not
> configuration files.
>
> Not by a mile even from a security perspective.

really?

you are not aware that systemd filters out existing env-vars except
EnvironmentFile / Environment

> Why would you even think that and FYI environment variables are still
> declared somewhere in a file so why not just create a config file which
> is read within the processes and be on the safe side?

wrong question

why should i change anything in *my* configuartion *because* you don't
like it?

> Sorry I dont grok how you come to the conclusion that both of these are
> config files, treated the same or even what people think they are
> gaining something using environment entry's that reside in a file over
> configuration files in the first place

well, there are enough applications which can be used not only running
as service just by using CLI params, using them the same way as a
service where it makes sense is way better than have a systemwide and in
doubt conflicting config file

the main question is: who are you to educate the world while nobody is
forcing you to use "EnvironmentFile" - do what you want in your way and
just accept that others make their own decisions because they are not yours